Shilpa and Raj Kundra’s wedding reception in Mumbai last night (Nov 24), capped their wedding celebrations, which began with the Mehndi-cum-Sangeet ceremony in Khandala on Nov 21.
The wedding has been dominating showbiz news, with everything from the clothes to the menu making headlines.
Here’s our pick of the Shilpa-Raj wedding trivia:
* All the outfits Shilpa wore at the three main events of her wedding celebrations were designed by Tarun Tahiliani. Raj wore Sherwanis by designers Shantanu-Nikhil for the wedding as well as the reception.
* Shilpa’s wedding outfit, the red Swarovski crystals-embellished sari, is rumoured to have cost Rs 50 lakh (5 million).
* The price tag for her wedding jewellery, classic Kundan pieces with uncut diamonds and emeralds, has been put at Rs 3 crore (30 million).
* After wearing Kundan jewellery for her engagement, the Mehndi/Sangeet ceremony and the wedding, Shilpa opted for diamonds and rubies for the wedding reception to compliment her Indo-western fusion outfit in gold.
* Shilpa Shetty's mehendi was applied by Bollywood brides’ favourite henna artist, Veena Nagda. Shilpa apparently wanted a peacock, Lakshmi, Ganpati and an 'R' and 'S' on her hands. What she ultimately got was just the ‘S’, Ganpati's garland on the back of her palm and a lotus and peacock on the front.
* Unaware of Shilpa’s past romantic relationship with Akshay Kumar, the brass band outside the wedding venue in Khandala started playing a tune from the Akki-Shilpa film “Dhadkan”. Apparently, they were instructed to stop immediately and told not to play songs from Akshay’s film!
* Incidentally, Akshay and wife Twinkle were not invited to the wedding reception. Also missing was Shilpa's good friend Salman Khan, who was out of town for a shoot.
* At the reception, British-Indian musicians RDB and Rishi Rich reportedly performed free of cost.
* The decoration at the wedding reception venue, Grand Hyatt Mumbai, consisted of flowers and butterflies.
* The wedding reception menu included a selection of Indian, Italian, Thai and Chinese dishes. The nine-tier wedding cake weighed over 80 kgs.
* The couple will now proceed to seek the blessing of Shilpa’s spiritual gurus Sri Amma and Sri Bhagwan at the Oneness Temple near Chennai.
* They will subsequently set off for the Bahamas for their honeymoon.